Sunday, February 12, 2012

So, I made it.  I'm now officially living in MONGOLIA (for not more than 6 months).  It's a little bit nuts. Travel to get here was relatively uneventful - which is a good thing when traveling.  I feel like these first few posts are likely to be a little sparse - but I promise more details as I get settled.  And - I have pictures but haven't had the best luck uploading.

I did get out and walk around the city yesterday with Carol who was gracious enough to show me around here's what I've learned/seen so far:

  • Careful when crossing the street. Seriously, it doesn't matter if there is a walk sign or not - it's your job to not get smooshed.
  • In addition to the crossing issues, other dangers one encounters while walking include - open manhole covers (oh and people live down there), random bits of metal that poke up from the street (never sure why or what they are for), ice lots of ice (not really a surprise there), and the random fellow that has passed out on the street (don't forget it's ridiculous cold - so that's not a good place to be - we had someone call an ambulance).
  • Foot massages are alive and well - and is about a block from the office.  They don't do punch cards - which is  unfortunate as I'm pretty sure I'd earn a freebie or 12. 
I'm off to my first day at the office.  Currently it's -27 degrees F, with smoke in the forecast (more about the smoke to come).


1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha. Sounds fun and exciting... Well hope its going good and good luck with the Mongolian Beef.

    Have fun,
    -Liam B.

    ReplyDelete