Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Onerous: involving a burdensome amount of effort and difficulty.

Our team was sent a very lovely care package - thank you, Charity - that is currently being held hostage. 

Seriously, it is amazing how crazy it is to get something out of customs.  You can see my lovely attached handwritten letter (it had to be written by me, by hand - little did they know that penmanship is not a strong suit).  Once the customs attorneys (yes it takes attorneys) review my letter and documents, they'll submit to customs agency. 

Depending on how that goes, they may or may not need a letter from the company vouching for me.  And then, once that is determined, I have to go out to the airport to the customs office and sign multiple documents and pay the taxes on what they determine is the value of the package.  And, because dealing with customs can be such a pain, they'll send a translator with me to help.

Now, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea - I'm very appreciative of the package and looking forward to checking out the goodies - but what did they possibly think I was going to do with one box of treats?  Onerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment