Thursday, March 29, 2012

Yum?

#21
So, this is not the first time that I've seen horse meat on the menu (#21) below - BUT it was the first time that I almost ordered it by mistake.  Here's the story...

A few blocks from the office is a lovely Thai restaurant which is one of the go-to places for lunch and/or take out for dinner (they are even open past 8:00 pm but so slow it's generally not worth waiting - but I digress).  

Now, I've been here enough that I feel like I have a regular order - #20 Gai Pad Met Mamuang (chicken with peanuts in oyster sauce).  But you can imagine that my Thai is about as good as my Mongolian so I usually say the number and point.  Today when I ordered there was a lot of questions back to me about "which."  Which what I couldn't quite figure until the colleague I was having lunch with got it and realized that the question was beef or horse.  The waitress thought I had ordered #21 Nam Tok (beef or horse meat in chili sauce with onion and garlic) - ugh no.  A narrow escape no doubt.  Although at this point, I couldn't guarantee that I haven't had it unwittingly.  If that's the case, ignorance is truly bliss because I never want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment