Saturday, June 16, 2012

Black Market

This is the Black Market.  You don't really ask where things come from - it seems that the shipping containers just appear and the crates are unloaded. 

I went with my pal, Nathalie, because at least 27 people will tell you not to go there alone.  There are also the standard warning of watching your bags, keeping and eye of your stuff, etc., etc.  Actually - it's not really scary - just pickpockets.

We left relatively unscathed - and got some decent deals on a few things.


 You can get a ton of stuff here.  We went pretty early before it got too crowded. 
Traditional clothes, bolts of fabric - you name it.  I got a cheese grater which I was super excited about - until I used it and something (couldn't tell what) came off with the cheese.  I decided it was probably better to spend a little bit more money in the interest of food safety.
Come on...  we all knew that this would be here.  Chinggis on wool is like Elvis on velvet....
But my very best purchase of the day!  Chairs for the balcony.  I have to say - I felt like they were quite the bargain - 15,000 MNT (or about $10) for each.  They had solid colored chairs - but they were four times as much!  Besides - these had cup holders.  You can take the girl out of Idaho, but you can't take Idaho out of the girl...
Lucky for me - it's a beautiful day to sit outside and hang with Chinggis.*


*It's hard to see in this picture, but there is Chinggis' face done in white rocks in the mountain side.  Can't help it - I sort of love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment