Monday, June 4, 2012

It changes you....

This last weekend I was able to spend a long weekend in Beijing. (Thanks to Amy who came up from Shanghai to meet me) It was fabulous and I'll bore with a thousand photos soon - but the one thing I've learned is how to adapt.  It was the subject of several conversations.  Here are some examples:
  • I've learned you must always carry tissues with you - not just for blowing noses.
  • I'd recommend that everyone buy stock in wet ones.  An absolute necessity (thank you, Laura, for pointing out the value before I left).  I use many of these every single day.
  • Speaking of wet ones, you also pay attention to what handles you are grabbing, buttons you are pushing, etc. - there is a reason that bird flu spread quickly in these parts.
  • I'm no longer flinch at people using the sidewalk (or surrounding areas as a toilet).  I don't approve, but I've seen it too much to be terribly shocked.
  • While we might carry tissues for noses - the "farmer blow" is alive and well - and potentially is on your shoe. This plus the toilet issue means taking your shoes off at the door.
  • Traffic lights seem to be a mere suggestion and should not be counted on to stop traffic.  Cross at your own risk.
  • Getting into any line - for anything - is much like making a mad dash to the opening of Space Mountain at Disneyland.  Go for it full speed - and take no prisoners.
  • And, finally - I no longer flinch when faced with a squatting toilet. Not my favorite, but sometimes you just have to make it work.  Besides....  what could go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment